Tuesday, September 8, 2009

26 weeks, sod, and Bobby's birthday!

In the past few weeks I've grown, we put in new sod, and yesterday was Bobby's birthday!

26 weeks shot... clothes are getting a liiiiittttlleee tight.

I never manage to remember to get a true "before" shot so here is an "in progress" shot. Basically this should be where our grass is. The builder who built this house 3 years ago decided it was too difficult to sod the entire way around the house, so he just did two sides. Yep. And apparently no one who lived here before us ever thought to just lay the sod either. So basically this was what Bobby likes to call "the scorched earth where our yard should be". It was covered in weeds and pine needles. So we raked it up and then Bobby rented a tiller and tilled up the soil to prepare it for the sod.

More dirt.


Back of the house where they just randomly stopped sodding. We only put one line of sod in the back of the house (so it only extends about 1 foot out from this) because we bought 1000 sq ft of sod and actually ran out! We didn't have enough to do more of the very back (and actually our sprinkler system doesn't reach that far anyway), so I think we're just going to rake the needles over there to sort of mulch between the trees and have that line just stay. And that's Bobby's ongoing project of finding and chopping firewood for this winter.


We got the sod from a local farm who cut it fresh that afternoon! So we laid it all out and now its just about watering the bejeezus out of it! Good thing it poured rain the day before we laid it down and hasn't rained a drop since... aren't we in hurricane season?? Why do I have hurricane insurance again??


The side.


I always ask Bobby what kind of dinner he wants for his birthday and usually he tells me chicken fried steak. This year he decided to go prime rib! I was a bit nervous having never cooked a rib roast before but it came out excellent! I was very proud!


He also asked for chocolate cake...

Mmmmm chocolate cake! :)

1 comment:

Jeremy and Jenn said...

You look great, Christina! And so does the chocolate cake you made for Bobby's birthday. :-)