Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Top Five Things I Will Miss About the South

Truth be told there's a whole lot I'm NOT going to miss about the South but in the interest of being positive, let's focus on the Top Five Things I WILL miss....

#5 -  
Ok so I know Cost Plus World Market is not an actual Southern thing, but they don't have any north of Maryland and I just LOVE it. It is my favorite store, especially around the holidays. I LOVE IT. LOVE IT. I am seriously sad about this, but I think my wallet will thank me. (and I know you can shop online, but it's just not the same... and they don't have as much food!)

#4 - Southern Hospitality

It's no joke, Southerners are seriously nice people. They chat with you. They listen. Again, they chat with you... everywhere! Strangers! Just chatting! Kellan has his own fan club of women at the grocery store and the commissary. And everyone is very laid back, not in a rush. This can be irritating at times, but I try to embrace it because hey, when in Rome...

#3 Sweet Tea

Good Lord do I love sweet tea. This article in Garden & Gun pretty much puts how I feel about it into words. I love being able to go into any restaurant and order a sweet tea. Italian? Sweet tea. Chinese? Sweet tea. Breakfast? SWEET TEA. I don't remember the last time I ordered a water and now I will be stuck with water. Boo. Luckily, I just bought tons of Luzianne (afraid they don't sell it up North) to be able to make my own and have it be authentic. (And don't even try to talk to me about McD's sweet tea - Not. The. Same.)

#2 - The beaches
This is Edisto Beach on a Sunday, Father's Day 2010 actually.  You will never, NEVER see this on Cape Cod or Hampton on a Sunday in the summer. All that space! The warm water! No trash! ALL THAT SPACE!!! It is HEAVEN. We are beach people, I can't even try to count how many times we go to the beach during the summer. We miss maybe one weekend a month during the warm months, of which there are six.... which brings me to... you can probably guess....

#1) THE WEATHER

I own 3 pairs of "shoes" and 10 pairs of flip flops. I wore my winter coat for 3 weeks last winter and I'm well aware that said "winter coat" is now my "fall" coat. It was 75 degrees on my birthday in February. I have not shoveled snow is seven years.  I'm honestly tearing up as I type this. I LOVE the warm weather. Yes, come August I'm ready to lose it from heat exhaustion, but then you have a 70 degree day mid-"winter" and it's all good. Or you see trick or treaters with no snow parkas! Seventy degree Halloweens?! You could trick or treat all night!   I will truly, deeply miss not having a winter. And I will smack the first person who tells me "but snow is so pretty" so don't even try it.

Honorable Mentions: Southern "foliage"(Camellias, Magnolias, Spanish Moss), Outward Christians (I doubt anyone will tell me to have a "blessed" day up in New England), Southernisms (y'all, fixin' to, right quick), and macaroni & cheese counting as a vegetable. Seriously.


5 comments:

Stephanie Y. said...

This is a great list!! I agree about sweet tea (and, yes, McDs is a sad excuse for sweet tea).

Not sure where you're moving, but if it's a place without a chick-fil-a that would definitely be on my list! :P

Christina said...

OH God Chick Fil A! YES!! There is one Chick Fil A in the state of NH and it is in Nashua which will be a farrrr drive. But you know I will make it when the peppermint chocolate shakes come out around Christmas!

We're moving back to NH... FOR GOOD. No more Marine Corps for us!

Stephanie Y. said...

Exciting!! I bet you're glad to be going home. I think we might have to move up to NH with yall eventually, it's just too darn liberal here.

Maybe we could open up a few chick-fil-a franchises while we're up there. :D

Christina said...

Sounds good! Maybe Bobby will open a gym and you and I can open a Chick Fil A.

Bases = covered. :)

Kevin and Kristen said...

Of course, if you have a friend who lives down the street from a World Market, who is also willing to be your personal shopper, you might not have to brave the withdrawal! :)

Funny story to tell you about Amelia and Chick Fil A the next time we chat!