Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saint Augustine, FL: Part One

A few weeks ago Bobby was on outpost (when they have some time where they can take leave between classes of recruits) so we decided to take a few days and go down to St. Augustine, FL, the oldest city in America (HA! Take that Plymouth and Boston!). It was a really fun trip! We haven't travelled domestically in quite some time! :)


One day I will master the habit of taking a picture of our room before we destroy it... I swear. Meanwhile, this is our room at the inn we stayed at, Casa De Solana. It was a really nice B&B and we enjoyed it there. However, when we checked in the Innkeeper asked us what kind of plans we had. I mentioned taking the ghost tour to which she said, "Oh yeah, this place is haunted." And I said of course, "Not our room right?" to which she responded, "No you're room is fine." UH HUH. So yeah, I didn't sleep very well!! Once we got home I did a Google search and found this: "The Casa de Solana, the second oldest inn in St. Augustine, is also a ghostly haunt. While visiting the Casa de Solana, investigators from The Ghost Hunters University stated that the inn had “the most paranormal activity” they’ve sighted in St. Augustine." Yikes!

This is Flagler College close to historic downtown. Pretty nice college huh?? It used to be a luxury hotel.

Mr. Flagler?

This is the beginning of St. George St. which is a pedestrian shopping/walking district. It was starting to get dark! Oh boy did this street have a TON of junk shops. And I mean TRUE junk shops.

This guy was hand rolling cigars, that was neat to see.

At least this person is honest about what their store carries.

This is the oldest wooden schoolhouse in America. It's over 200 years old and still standing all by itself! It's made of red cedar and cypress, so note to self, build your house out of red cedar and cypress.

They used to put the bad kids in class under the stairs in a box. Ahhh, the good old days.


Bobby in front of the Inn. Notice any ghosts?


More to come!!

No comments: